Wednesday 26 September 2018

Growth Mindset

Source 


That was educational and sadly true. Kids nowadays are deluded with praise and effects their way of thinking and engaging. I've always tried to stay focused and only take praise seriously with results but being praised for the journey you take. I didn't think it would have that bad effect on some students. Maybe even myself in the past was in that position admittedly. 

Screenshot of Youtube Video

I watched Eduardo Briceno's video which was similar and eventually was brought back to Carol Dweck's video on Growth Mindset. People in general work in two zones, "Learning and Performance". The difference once examined and vividly shown I noticed it and I'd admit I work a lot in the performance zone more than the learning. You always expected to perform to achieve results for sure but then what do you remember by it? It's fascinating. 

The Story about the Greek which to practice with loud crowds he'd argue with the ocean and put stones in his mouth to stop his lisp was funny but yet realizing his methods show signs of practicing different outcomes to learn more for his advantage was unexpected and intriguing for me.   

For me and a majority of people around the world, You do notice a decline of interest in education by students due to difficulty and other situations. I've always looked for help when it was needed and understood what I was taking head on when I signed up for it. Personally I've set my mindset to work hard this year and attempt to get an A or two but realizing now after watching those videos really has me questioning my methods. Sure they get the job done but I don't have enough time to look back on my work before I finish or start off again on something else. It's not until the end of the year that I have that opportunity unless we have feedback from the lecturers also. 

I definitely enjoyed those videos and reads, It might have changed my perspective of how I view to engage with my work I will wait and see.
  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that last paragraph - the statement is one of the driving factors for the approach I'm using this semester - My goal is for you, with out fear of losing marks, to try things out seeing if you can push your own boundaries and at the same time providing each of you as much feedback as I possibly can. I hope you enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete