Tuesday 27 November 2018

Game Stories

Source


I absolutely 100% agree with realistic storytelling and its importance to any subject including games. I've always been a fan of realistic storytelling of any nature whether its games or movies or short stories, For me and probably a good handful of people its more satisfying to see real life consequences happen with related stories. The story arch i've been thought to follow isn't what or how i'd like to create projects, there are some that its mandatory to do but if you want to be creative you have to be different thats how it works. If you suspect to replicate someone elses work or something that has already been done then expect the same feedback.

Sure this is said alot also with storytelling and in general, I am a huge fan of movies and you always see directors talk about their influences and Scorsese is always mentioned by directors that don't have any work they've done with evidence of that. I am a huge fan of Scorsese, Tarantino among lots of others because of their screenwriting its different compared to all the other recycled stuff.

This works with games also, I've played none franchise games all my life that heavily rely on their stories and it pays off. You enjoy them and fall in love with it and it keeps you coming back to it. I agree fully with mcKee and Aristotle completely and I want to continue that mark with my creations, if it involves storytelling I want mine to be different and have people talking including myself even and open it up for more.

With the game I am currently creating however, there isn't much storytelling involved in the subject i've chosen to take even though its educational and hasn't been done before I hope in the future I can implement storytelling more.

Examples of my experience with games and great storytelling would be "Alan Wake", "Bioshock" and a whole list of others that tried something different with storytelling and had massive success.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-best-videogame-stories-ever/ 

This is a list of possibly the best storytelling games ever...

https://www.gamedesigning.org/learn/storytelling/ 

First steps guide to creating stories for you games

https://www.theverge.com/2013/6/13/4427444/lucas-spielberg-storytelling-in-games-its-not-going-to-be-shakespeare-usc

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (Iconic movie storytellers) on their view of storytelling in games.

No comments:

Post a Comment