Thursday 15 November 2018

Unity Free Tutorials

Source
So for this week's Unity tutorial I've watched and followed the steps of Brackey's Tower Defense tutorial. I've watched and followed EP 1 - 3 in his playlist on creating the game in Unity so I will talk about each episode in paragraphs.

Whole Playlist
Episode 1

Episode 1 was an introduction to Unity and the process of making a tower defense game. Mostly it was familiarizing myself with objects in game and manipulation with them with sizes and textures and also positioning. Similiar to what was done in previous tutorials. I also learned some beneficial shortcuts for Unity in these tutorials and i'm sure I will cover more. Episode 1's end goal was creating a simple small map for the levels, I will do so similar and enlarge the maps and hopefully get to add detail further down the line.

Episode 2 

Episode 2 was based on enemy AI, Spawn points is what kicked of this tutorial so we can spawn in the enemies onto the map. We then created enemies and gave them a path via waypoints. Waypoints are directions for objects, with the right positioning on the map, multiple waypoints where created along the map to give the enemy a path. Folders called "Prefabs" were included to store all relative objects in one area. After that, code was added to the waypoints and enemies for the process of movement around the may with transforms.

Episode 3

Episode 3 is based on the spawner for the enemies units that will infiltrate the map to get from 1 target to another. I added code to the spawner to give it time sets between waves of spawners and how it can read each wave. I got confused by a problem set in this episode with splitting the timing between enemy spawns, they was different code embed involving IEnumerator with System.connections, so that essentially pauses the enemy spawn so it's spread out separate from the void code. Then the last 5 minutes of this tutorial was simply adding a timer on top of the map for game reference which doesn't concern me anyhow but yeah.

So this week the only problems I had was with the coding aspect. I simply didn't understand what some coding meant without research so once I done my research it was clarified for me. Otherwise everything is smooth for me so far.




No comments:

Post a Comment